Summer Reading List

This year, I have an extended summer break from 23rd March to mid August. That's nearly five months of vacation. It has to be noted that I may never enjoy such a long, purposeless period of time for the rest of my life. There really is nothing that must be done. This is enough impetus for me to start planning my summer. Among several activities I have in mind, reading is high on priority. Here is the first batch of books that will arrive at my doorstep on 23rd March. *Drumroll*

It's one of the memoirs that I have long been waiting to read. I maybe making a politically incorrect remark by stating that I partly support the parenting methods adopted by the author. Perhaps because I like to think that I have been brought up in a similar fashion, although nowhere as extreme as depicted in this memoir.

As a silent reader of Paulo Coelho's blog, I find his writing very refreshing. It's a blow of fresh air on the much polluted internet. His blog posts' uncanny timing, perfectly in sync with my roller-coaster emotions, always quell my anxieties. I could write an entire post dedicated to that. Having read several extracts from the upcoming book already, I believe parts of this book could be my calm,silent retreat.
The release date is 2nd April, so I'll have to wait for this one.

"Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson
It is reviewed as one of the most influential books of the twentieth century for inspiring the ecological movement. I first came across this book when Dr.Tyron Hayes  used an extract of the book to make a point in his talk. Engrossed, I researched it. Although it may prove to be a difficult read, it could be one of the books that changes perspective; the kind that leave an indelible impression.

Who better to learn from? After listening to one of Dr.Feynman's talks at Cornell University, I must admit that my notion of a Nobel Prize winning scientist was completely uprooted. Delving into the mind of this eccentric, legendary Physicist should be an interesting experience. 

"The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins
This is obviously an after-effect of reading "The Emperor of All Maladies" and being overwhelmed it, followed by attending a college lecture titled "Patching Damaged Genes".A post about this experience will grace this blog soon. Reading this book is a curious student's attempt to know more about Genetics.

If this list is ticked off before the end of my leisurely summer, a second one shall follow. My shopping cart on Flipkart is full, awaiting the day I'll finally click the "Order" button.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neighborhood Project: Teaching Kids English.

What We Do in the Name of God: An Account of My Visit to SriKalahasti Temple

Tales from Abu Dhabi