In Search of The Right Story

After taking my standardized tests and passing 11th grade with good scores, I thought most of my application process was over. But it so happens that all the effort I've put in until now was only preparation for the application. 

A few months ago, I would have confidently said that the essays would be a piece of cake for me. Perhaps because I'm used to writing about my feelings, experiences and opinions. Now the deadlines for college applications seem closer than ever and I haven't written one satisfying essay. Every idea I have comes off beautifully in my mind. As soon as I put in words, the magic is lost and so are my words.

I have not had financial difficulties. I have a distinct cultural identity that I believe in. I live in a developing country, so I don't have a story about a trip to another 3rd world country where I built houses for the poor. I don't remember any significant challenge in my life. I had a happy childhood. I have had a ordinary life. That eliminates many topics of impact for my essay. 

Today, I attended a session on essay writing for college applications with the hope that it might help me brainstorm or inspire me to think, and write. "Be yourself", "Find your voice", "Convey who you are" - everyone has the same advice to give. It is good advice but it couldn't get me started on the essay itself. 

No amount of advice can help me write a fulfilling essay. I need to search my memory for inspiration, search for the right story. I just don't know how to yet. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neighborhood Project: Teaching Kids English.

What We Do in the Name of God: An Account of My Visit to SriKalahasti Temple

Tales from Abu Dhabi