Meant to Be or Made to Be?

My horoscope column in the newspaper warned me of a tiff with a friend. Surprisingly true! I did have a minor argument with a friend that day. Are our lives really planned out to every incident before they happen? Or are we inclined to trace a relation between predictions and incidents. Did I say trace? I mean force one out. I may have arguments with my friends every day. But if I read my horoscope one day, then I might connect the prediction with a very quotidian argument and probably believe that it was all meant to be. But so what if one does form such a belief? Here's an old Arab tale -


Death Speaks 
There was a merchant in Baghdad who sent his servant to market to buy provisions and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, Master, just now when I was in the market-place, I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was Death that jostled me. She looked at me and made a threatening gesture; now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city and avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me. The merchant lent him the horse and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went. Then the merchant went down to the market-place and he saw me standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, Why did you make a threatening gesture to my servant when you saw him this morning? That was not a threatening gesture, I said, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Baghdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra.

The servant, on learning of his future, strives to change it. Ironically, his "counter steps" only lead to the future he was trying to escape. In the book "Palace of Illusions", the protagonist is foretold that she would change history. She is even warned of the key events in her life and which of her decisions would lead to her ultimate destiny. In the pursuit of her predicted 'destiny' and her attempts to avoid some aspects of it, the protagonist only entangles herself deeper into unknown and undesired circumstances. It made me wonder - maybe she would have fared better had she been unaware of her "destiny" and lived life as it came.

When told of one's destiny, one would naturally make decisions to either follow or sidestep that destiny. One would define their boundaries based on what they believe they are meant to do. In that case, is "destiny" even a valid term? After all, the decisions that lead to it are made consciously. That way, whether or not we believes in destiny, we actually do create our own lives. Every thought is responsible for one's present situation. It's just upto each person to decide whether or not they would call this destiny.


P.S.: This is one very confusing post. Sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neighborhood Project: Teaching Kids English.

What We Do in the Name of God: An Account of My Visit to SriKalahasti Temple

Tales from Abu Dhabi